Monday, May 31, 2010

Us VS. Them

Sometimes it’s mums vs. not-mums, other times it’s us ladies over thirty vs. girls in their twenties… but then all of a sudden it can be us young, under 40 women vs. wise and older ladies… and how about the classic women vs. men…

Lately it’s our family vs. anybody disrespecting us…

Often I find myself thinking about ‘them’, the people that live an organised life… Have all their finances in order, always a clean and tidy house, even the garden is in mint condition… They drive new cars, go on holiday at least once a year and visit the hairdressers every month.
Or what about me vs. ‘those people’… the ones that follow the rules set out by society? The rules the ‘general’ public has accepted as the only set of rules available…Although I’ve noticed the basic rules vary a little bit when you travel to other countries, most of them remain the same.

Funny thing is, I want to live my life in harmony with as many people as possible. I want to get along with people, want to be liked, want to meet new people and add friends to my ‘friend-list’…The more the merrier is not just a saying for me…it is a way of life. People are always welcome in our house, we try to help wherever we can and I try not to pass judgement on anybody.
I don’t see other people as competition; I have no need to feel better or more accomplished.

But still there is that vs. feeling…

I guess it’s directly linked to not feeling part of it…whatever ‘it’ might be. I’ve never owned a house or a new car. I’ve never lived by the rules society set out for me. I’ve always done things others wouldn’t…
I’ve just never been the same as others… Not to be different, not to make a point (except when I was in my puberty of course) but just because my choices are genuinely different. I like other music than most, like other clothes, like other people, like a different life style… I guess most people could not live like I do. Not that I live this extravagant weird life…just because I choose differently.
I’ve never met anybody that chooses the same things as I do…

I guess I will always be the odd one….

Cool!

2 comments:

#1Nana said...

I am one of them...the older woman, although I refer to think of myself as the wise, older woman. I, too, question why I don't fit into a neat category. I wonder if everyone doesn't feel that way? From the wisdom of years, i think we're all searching for acceptance. Not to fit in and be like everyone else, but to be accepted for who we are, unconditionally.


Blogging has been a good way for me to find others who have had similar experiences and feelings. I hope you can find those supportive followers too.

Jann aka #1Nana

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Cool, indeed. Makes our lives much more interesting to be different. We most certainly meet the most interesting people and are open to learning so much about the world. Drawing in the lines makes some things easier - and I do that. But only so I can scribble on the outside the rest of the time.

Thanks for joining me.